error on start up "could not change directory to"

От Kevin Duffy
Тема error on start up "could not change directory to"
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hello All:

I recently installed Postgresql 9.1 on Fedora 16.
I must admit I may not have run the install procedures correctly.

I have found postings that talk about the difference between
"su postgres"  vs  "su - postgres".  The dash (-) makes it a login shell
But do understand the difference.  I suspect that, in my ignorance, I used su postgres

So here is what happens when I start the server as follows:
     /usr/bin/pg_ctl  -D  /usr/local/pgsql/data  start
I get:
   could not change directory to "/home/kbd"
   server starting

But the server starts OK.  Would like to fix the above issue.

If I do:
     /usr/bin/pg_ctl  -D  /usr/local/pgsql/data  status
I get:
   could not change directory to "/home/kbd"
   pg_ctl: server is running (PID: 3142)

On Shut down I get the same
  could not change directory to "/home/kbd"

How can I make this message go away?

Many thanks for your kind assistance.

KD