postgresql on Fedora 16

От Kevin Duffy
Тема postgresql on Fedora 16
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hello All:

I am attempting to set up Postgresql under Fedora 16.
And I think I did not do too bad for a first try for a novice.

I am pretty sure I was logged in as root when I ran yum install postgresql-server.
And I also used yum to install pgAdmin.
Then I followed various postings to set the postgres account password and  to
get the /usr/local/pgsql/data directory set up and permissioned correctly.

I have been able to do the following:
su postgres

start the server with the command:
  /usr/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l /tmp/pgsql.log start
this returns:
 could not change directory to "/home/kbd"
 server starting

   createdb testdb
returns:
   could not change directory to "/home/kbd"

psql testdb
returns: ( again )
   could not change directory to "/home/kbd"

testdb=#  select * from pg_language
returns the expected stuff.

pgAdmin is able to connect to Postgresql. Yipee

OK so what is causing this message:
   could not change directory to "/home/kbd"
   I looked in the log file but it is empty.

Is it OK that postgresql is in /usr/local/bin?  I though it should be in
/usr/local/pgsql/bin.   Least that it was where when I installed postgresql
years ago.

And what do I have to do to get postgresql to start auto on start up.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Best Regards

KD