Re: pgAdmin - Query - out of memory for query result

От Kevin Duffy
Тема Re: pgAdmin - Query - out of memory for query result
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I am using pgAdmin on both machines.
And for some strange reason the query fails on the machine with more memory.

The message shows up in the Output pane in the messages tab.

I do not get it.

KD

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
On Wed, 2012-01-11 at 01:10 -0500, Kevin Duffy wrote:
> [...]
> I have run into a very frustrating problem.
>
> I have a database with some tables which were loaded from Excel spreadsheets
> via a Perl script.  Guess that does not really matter.  The table
> definitions
> are below.
>
> Both tables contain  9,398,340 rows
>
> On a machine running Windows 7 64Bit with 6Gig of RAM
> When I do a simple query, select *  from estimated_idiosyncratic_
> return, on these tables I get:  out of memory for query result
>
> If I run the same query on the machine where the database resides,
> the query runs, No issue.  The machine where the database resides is
> laptop running Windows XP Sp2 with 3 Gig of RAM.
>
> Other queries run fine.
>
> I do not understand why these simple queries would work on a machine
> with 3Gig of RAM and fail on a machine with 6Gig.

I suppose from your email's subject that you use pgAdmin on your Windows
machine, and psql on the other one?

If that's true, pgAdmin will probably need more memory to display the
results than psql. I've tried to find the error message you're talking
about, but couldn't find it in pgAdmin's code source. But I guess that,
if your query returns many lines, it will hit hard on the memory. And
even if it can use that much memory, the grid component can get pretty
slow.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info