Re: Purpose of pg_dump tar archive format?

От Shaheed Haque
Тема Re: Purpose of pg_dump tar archive format?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Tue, 4 Jun 2024 at 20:47, Gavin Roy <gavinr@aweber.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 3:15 PM Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:

But why tar instead of custom? That was part of my original question.

I've found it pretty useful for programmatically accessing data in a dump for large databases outside of the normal pg_dump/pg_restore workflow. You don't have to seek through one large binary file to get to the data section to get at the data.

This is true for us too; specifically, tar, including with compression, is very convenient for both CLI and Python ecosystems.