Re: Proposal: Adding json logging

От David Arnold
Тема Re: Proposal: Adding json logging
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Given we have the following LOG_DESTIONATION...

/* Log destination bitmap */
#define LOG_DESTINATION_STDERR 1
#define LOG_DESTINATION_SYSLOG 2
#define LOG_DESTINATION_EVENTLOG 4
#define LOG_DESTINATION_CSVLOG 8

Something confuses me about CSVLOG...
Isn't log destination and log formatting tow different kinds? How to deal with that mix?
I was somewhat expecting to find a log formatting hook somewhere around, but it seems more complicated than that.

El sáb., 14 abr. 2018 a las 11:51, Chapman Flack (<chap@anastigmatix.net>) escribió:
On 04/14/18 12:05, David Fetter wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 11:51:17AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm dubious that JSON is "easier on machines" than CSV.
>
> I've found the opposite.
>
> CSV is very poorly specified, which makes it at best complicated to
> build correct parsing libraries.

I was just about to say the same thing. Based on my experience, I can infer
the history of CSV as a format was something like this:

"we'll use commas to separate the values"

- some implementations released

"but what if a value has a comma?"

- some new implementations released

"what if it has a quote?"

- some newer implementations released

"a newline?"

- ...

> JSON, whatever gripes I have about
> the format[1] is extremely well specified, and hence has excellent
> parsing libraries.

It has, if nothing else, the benefit of coming around later and seeing
what happened with CSV.

-Chap
--
XOE SolutionsDAVID ARNOLD