Re: Foreign key to a partial key

От Simon G
Тема Re: Foreign key to a partial key
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Thank you very much for your answer, David.

If I add the wbs_name field to the products table, it will only defer the issue to now check if the wbs_name is the wbs_name assigned to the project. The constraint you propose could check if the wbs_name and wbs_code combination exist, but it may allow the case where they belong to another project, when for example, copying a product from another project.

I would like the database model to take into account that, but I do not find a way. As I said before, my option would be for an update or insert trigger to check the projects table, find out the wbs_name and check that the product wbs_code belongs to it.

Or maybe another idea I do not see now.

Regards,
Simon Graffe

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 10:07 PM, David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I thought of creating a foreign key constraint this way:
>
> The constraint would need to make reference to the wbs_name assigned to
> the
> project, but at the table products, no column contains that info.

Add the wbs_name column to the products table.  Since a code is invalid
without knowing which project it belongs to your table definition is wrong.

Then you can create the proper two-column foreign key that references on
primary key on the codes table.

David J.