Re: Logical replication subscription owner

От Euler Taveira
Тема Re: Logical replication subscription owner
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Fri, 8 May 2020 at 03:03, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:

A user can start physical replication without needing CONNECT on any
database if it has REPLICATION attribute.  That means any user that
is allowed logical replication on a specific database (or even no
databases) can replicate the whole cluster using physical replication.
I don't think it is a proper behavior from the security perspective.

Physical replication has a special entry in pg_hba.conf, hence, I
don't think you need CONNECT on all databases. However, logical replication
uses the same entry from a regular connection and I concur with Michael and
Stephen that we should have LOGIN and REPLICATION privileges in those cases.
If we drop the LOGIN requirement for logical replication, it means that a
simple NOLOGIN won't be sufficient to block a certain role to execute queries
because "replication=database" could be used to bypass it. Physical
replication can't execute queries but logical replication can. IMO
REPLICATION is an additional capability and it is not a superset that
contains LOGIN. I prefer a fine-grained control. In sections 26.2.5.1 and
30.7, LOGIN are documented accordingly. I'm +0.5 to the idea of adding a
WARNING when you create/alter a role that has REPLICATION but not LOGIN.

--
Euler Taveira                 http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/