Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?

От Misa Simic
Тема Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Thursday, September 18, 2014, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
Chris,

On 18/09/2014 1:07 AM, Chris Travers wrote:
On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
Tom,

For starters, let's talk strictly about improving the deployment situation, which the core team *is* uniquely positioned to do.

The pl/java author(s) should figure out what needs to be done but once that's known we need to do *something* in core so the deployment process is reduced to 1-2 steps max (CREATE EXTENSION pljava, and add Java to Postgresql's library path).

But what the core team has done is provide a pretty stable interface for getting to that point.  The extension interface is well documented and quite stable IME.  If the pl/java project can't get it to a point where you can make && make install, then I don't see what would possibly benefit from getting into core.

Bare with me for a moment while I walk you through the Windows (for dummies) experience I had in mind.

If you take a look at the Windows installation, it ships with lib/hstore.dll which enables users to invoke "make extension hstore" (no need to build anything). I'm talking about doing the same thing for pljava. I suggest adding an optional feature in the Windows installer (I believe it's called Application Stack Builder) for pljava. When enabled, it would unpack lib/pljava.dll and a private JRE (so users don't have to mess around with library paths). Users can then enable the extension with a simple invocation of "CREATE EXTENSION pljava".

It doesn't get easier than this. And of course you'd do the equivalent thing for *nix (investigate how it works for hstore and provide an equivalent experience for pljava).

Gili

Hi Gili,

Yes, but pre-condition for that, is to an extension is in the state where all what is needed to be done is make & make install, after that CREATE EXTENSION in db.

Hstore, ltree, uuid-ossp etc are all pg extensions already in that state for what is made decision that can be shipped together with postgres installation - so "building" is done during installation of postgres (optionally) - because of that end user just need to do CREATE EXTENSION

pl/java is far away from that state - once it get to that state. Pg core team could take it in consideration if extension is stable enough to can be shipped together with core...

In my opinion - for pljava would be great just to get to that state - to install it easy... Less important if it is shipped together with core.. But I guess it is more for pl/java authors... Or whoever knows how to do it and is keen to do it - open source...

Kind Regards,

Misa