Re: Question: Is it possible to get the new xlog position after query execution?

От Oleg Serov
Тема Re: Question: Is it possible to get the new xlog position after query execution?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 4:29 PM Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at> wrote:
On 2021-10-29 13:22:56 -0400, Oleg Serov wrote:
> We are using a master/slave replication system where we perform writes on
> master and use replication to offload reads.
>
> However, sometimes we have a replication lag of a few seconds and as a result,
> after the update, the change is not yet available on the replica.
>
> Is there a way to get XLOG position to which specific update query will be
> written? That way we can check if our replica caught up with changes and it is
> safe to read it from. Can it be done using SQL functions? Can I get that
> information from query protocol?

I think I would prefer a more direct approach:

If you know what you've written, can't you just check whether the
replica has the new value(s)?
The simplest answer: One thread on a single process on a server knows about it. Now another thread on another process/other server does not know about it.

If not, an alternative could be a table which contains a simple counter
or timestamp:

    begin;
    (lots of updates ...)
    commit;
    begin;
    update counter set c = c + 1 returning c; -- save this as c_current
    commit;

    Select c from counter on the replica in a loop until c >= c_current.
Why invent something totally new when XLOG position is already used for replication by postgres? What are the benefits of it?

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Story must make more sense than reality.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |       challenge!"