Re: Index Skip Scan

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Index Skip Scan
Дата
Re: Index Skip Scan
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 11:22 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Yeah, there are a few tricks you can do with "index skip scans"
> (Oracle name, or as IBM calls them, "index jump scans"... I was
> slightly tempted to suggest we call ours "index hop scans"...).

Hopscotch scans?

> * groups and certain aggregates (MIN() and MAX() of suffix index
> columns within each group)
> * index scans where the scan key doesn't include the leading columns
> (but you expect there to be sufficiently few values)
> * merge joins (possibly the trickiest and maybe out of range)

FWIW, I suspect that we're going to have the biggest problems in the
optimizer. It's not as if ndistinct is in any way reliable. That may
matter more on average than it has with other path types.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Сообщение: Re: Facility for detecting insecure object naming
Сообщение: Re: Facility for detecting insecure object naming