Re: AIX support - alignment issues

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: AIX support - alignment issues
Дата
Re: AIX support - alignment issues  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jul 2, 2022 at 11:34 AM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> Personally I think we should just drop AIX. The amount of effort to keep it
> working is substantial due to being quite different from other unices ([2]), the is
> very outdated, the whole ecosystem is barely on lifesupport ([3]). And all of that
> for very little real world use.

I tend to agree about dropping AIX. But I wonder if there is an
argument against that proposal that doesn't rely on AIX being relevant
to at least one user. Has supporting AIX ever led to the discovery of
a bug that didn't just affect AIX? In other words, are AIX systems
peculiar in some particular way that clearly makes them more likely to
flush out a certain class of bugs? What is the best argument *against*
desupporting AIX that you know of?

Desupporting AIX doesn't mean that any AIX users will be left in the
lurch immediately. Obviously these users will be able to use a
supported version of Postgres for several more years.

--
Peter Geoghegan