Re: Connections hang indefinitely while taking a gin index's LWLockbuffer_content lock

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Connections hang indefinitely while taking a gin index's LWLockbuffer_content lock
Дата
Re: Connections hang indefinitely while taking a gin index's LWLockbuffer_content lock  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 5:46 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> Teodor: Do you think that the issue is fixable? It looks like there
> are serious issues with the design of 218f51584d5 to me. I don't think
> the general "there can't be any inserters at this subtree" thing works
> given that we have to couple buffer locks when moving right for other
> reasons. We call ginStepRight() within ginFinishSplit(), for reasons
> that date back to bug fix commit ac4ab97e from 2013 -- that detail is
> probably important, because it seems to be what breaks the subtree
> design (we don't delete in two phases or anything in GIN).

Ping?

This is a thorny problem, and I'd like to get your input soon. I
suspect that reverting 218f51584d5 may be the ultimate outcome, even
though it's a v10 feature.

--
Peter Geoghegan