Re: Improve search for missing parent downlinks in amcheck

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Improve search for missing parent downlinks in amcheck
Дата
Re: Improve search for missing parent downlinks in amcheck  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>)
Re: Improve search for missing parent downlinks in amcheck  (Alexander Korotkov <a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 7:30 PM Alexander Korotkov
<a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> Currently we amcheck supports lossy checking for missing parent
> downlinks.  It collects bitmap of downlink hashes and use it to check
> subsequent tree level.  We've experienced some large corrupted indexes
> which pass this check due to its looseness.

Can you be more specific? What was the cause of the corruption? I'm
always very interested in hearing about cases that amcheck could have
detected, but didn't.

Was the issue that the Bloom filter was simply undersized/ineffective?

> However, it seems to me we can implement this check in non-lossy
> manner without making it significantly slower.  We anyway traverse
> downlinks from parent to children in order to verify that hikeys are
> corresponding to downlink keys.

Actually, we don't check the high keys in children against the parent
(all other items are checked, though). We probably *should* do
something with the high key when verifying consistency across levels,
but currently we don't. (We only use the high key for the same-page
high key check -- more on this below.)

> We can also traverse from one
> downlink to subsequent using rightlinks.  So, if there are some
> intermediate pages between them, they are candidates to have missing
> parent downlinks.  The patch is attached.
>
> With this patch amcheck could successfully detect corruption for our
> customer, which unpatched amcheck couldn't find.

Maybe we can be a lot less conservative about sizing the Bloom filter
instead? That would be an easier fix IMV -- we can probably change
that logic to be a lot more aggressive without anybody noticing, since
the Bloom filter is already usually tiny. We are already not very
careful about saving work within bt_index_parent_check(), but with
this patch we follow each downlink twice instead of once. That seems
wasteful.

The reason I used a Bloom filter here is because I would eventually
like the missing downlink check to fingerprint entire tuples, not just
block numbers. In L&Y terms, the check could in the future fingerprint
the separator key and the downlink at the same time, not just the
downlink. That way, we could probe the Bloom filter on the next level
down for its high key (with the right sibling pointer set to be
consistent with the parent) iff we don't see that the page split was
interrupted (i.e. iff P_INCOMPLETE_SPLIT() bit is not set). Obviously
this would be a more effective form of verification, since we would
notice high key values that don't agree with the parent's values for
the same sibling/cousin/child block.

I didn't do it that way for v11 because of "minus infinity" items on
internal pages, which don't store the original key (the key remains
the high key of the left sibling page, but we truncate the original to
0 attributes in _bt_pgaddtup()). I think that we should eventually
stop truncating minus infinity items, and actually store a "low key"
at P_FIRSTDATAKEY() within internal pages instead. That would be
useful for other things anyway (e.g. prefix compression).

--
Peter Geoghegan