Re: "long" type is not appropriate for counting tuples

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: "long" type is not appropriate for counting tuples
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:32 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> There's more to that than you might realize.  For example, guc.c
> enforces a limit on work_mem that's designed to ensure that
> expressions like "work_mem * 1024L" won't overflow, and there are
> similar choices elsewhere.

I was aware of that, but I wasn't aware of how many places that bleeds
into until I checked just now.

It would be nice if we could figure out how to make it obvious that
the idioms around the use of long for work_mem stuff are idioms that
have a specific rationale. It's pretty confusing as things stand.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Сообщение: Re: "long" type is not appropriate for counting tuples
Сообщение: Re: "long" type is not appropriate for counting tuples