Re: better page-level checksums

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: better page-level checksums
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 11:14 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> We can have anything we want here, but we can't have everything we
> want at the same time. There are irreducible engineering trade-offs
> here. If all pages in a given cluster are the same, backends can
> compute the values of things that are currently compile-time constants
> upon startup and continue to use them for the lifetime of the backend.
> If pages can vary, some encrypted or checksummed and others not, then
> you have to recompute those values for every page. That's bound to
> have some cost. It is also more flexible.

Maybe not -- it depends on the particulars of the code. For example,
it might be okay for the B-Tree code to assume that B-Tree pages have
a special area at a known fixed offset, determined at compile time. At
the same time, it might very well not be okay for a backup tool to
make any such assumption, because it doesn't have the same context.

Even within TDE, it might be okay to assume that it's a feature that
the user must commit to using for a whole cluster at initdb time. What
isn't okay is committing to that assumption now and forever, by
leaving the door open to a world in which that assumption no longer
holds. Like when you do finally get around to making TDE something
that can work at the relation level, for example. Even if there is
only a small chance of that ever happening, why wouldn't we be
prepared for it, just on general principle?

--
Peter Geoghegan