Re: better page-level checksums

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: better page-level checksums
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 11:52 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Even within TDE, it might be okay to assume that it's a feature that
> > the user must commit to using for a whole cluster at initdb time. What
> > isn't okay is committing to that assumption now and forever, by
> > leaving the door open to a world in which that assumption no longer
> > holds. Like when you do finally get around to making TDE something
> > that can work at the relation level, for example. Even if there is
> > only a small chance of that ever happening, why wouldn't we be
> > prepared for it, just on general principle?
>
> To the extent that we can leave ourselves room to do new things in the
> future without incurring unreasonable costs in the present, I'm in
> favor of that, as I believe anyone would be. But as you say, a lot
> depends on the specifics. Theoretical flexibility that can only be
> used in practice by really slow code doesn't help anybody.

A tool like pg_filedump or a backup tool can easily afford this
overhead. The only cost that TDE has to pay for this added flexibility
is that it has to set one of the PD_* bits in a code path that is
already bound to be very expensive. What's so bad about that?

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that you're pushing back on this
particular point. A nonce for TDE is just something that code in
places like bufpage.h ought to know about. It has to be negotiated at
that level, because it will in fact affect a lot of callers to the
bufpage.h functions.

--
Peter Geoghegan