Re: Polyphase merge is obsolete

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Polyphase merge is obsolete
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 10:25 AM John Naylor
<john.naylor@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> int64 is used elsewhere in this file, and I see now reason to do otherwise.

Right. The point of using int64 in tuplesort.c is that the values may
become negative in certain edge-cases. The whole LACKMEM() concept
that tuplesort.c uses to enforce work_mem limits sometimes allows the
implementation to use slightly more memory than theoretically
allowable. That's how we get negative values.

--
Peter Geoghegan