Re: Optimizing the documentation

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Optimizing the documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 12:50 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>  Most of the docs contain pretty dense technical
> material that's not going to be improved by making it even denser.

It's always hard to write dense technical prose, for a variety of
reasons. I often struggle with framing. For example I seem to write
sentences that sound indecisive. But is that necessarily a bad thing?
It seems wise to hedge a little bit when talking about (say) some kind
of complex system with many moving parts. Ernest Hemingway never had
to describe how VACUUM works.

I agree with Heikki to some degree; there is value in trying to follow
a style guide. But let's not forget about the other problem with the
docs, which is that there isn't enough low level technical details of
the kind that advanced users value. There is a clear unmet demand for
that IME. If we're going to push in the direction of simplification,
it should not make this other important task harder.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Сообщение: Re: Optimizing the documentation
Сообщение: Re: Optimizing the documentation