Re: Building infrastructure for B-Tree deduplication that recognizeswhen opclass equality is also equivalence

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Building infrastructure for B-Tree deduplication that recognizeswhen opclass equality is also equivalence
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 2:18 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> > Indeed, we run up against this sort of thing all the time in, eg, planner
> > optimizations.  I think some sort of "equality is precise" indicator
> > would be really useful for a lot of things.
>
> The case that I happened to think of was "collation strength
> reduction".

I was thinking of stashing an "equality is precise" flag in the
metapage of each nbtree index, since we will only determine this once,
at CREATE INDEX time. That would make it fairly natural for the
planner to ask about the "equality is precise"-ness of the index at
the same point that it calls _bt_getrootheight(): within
get_relation_info().

--
Peter Geoghegan

Сообщение: Re: Building infrastructure for B-Tree deduplication that recognizeswhen opclass equality is also equivalence