Re: Create collation reporting the ICU locale display name

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Create collation reporting the ICU locale display name
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 7:53 AM Daniel Verite <daniel@manitou-mail.org> wrote:
> The 'locale' or 'lc_collate/lc_ctype' argument of an ICU collation may
> have a complicated syntax, especially with non-deterministic
> collations, and input mistakes in these names will not necessarily be
> detected as such by ICU.

That's a real problem.

> The "display name" of a locale is a simple way to get human-readable
> feedback about the characteristics of that locale.
> pg_import_system_collations() already push these as comments when
> creating locales en masse.
>
> I think it would be nice to have CREATE COLLATION report this
> information as feedback in the form of a NOTICE message.
> PFA a simple patch implementing that.

I like this idea.

I wonder if it's possible to display a localized version of the
display string in the NOTICE message? Does that work, or could it? For
example, do you see the message in French?

--
Peter Geoghegan