Re: [HACKERS] ICU locales and text/char(n) SortSupport on Windows

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: [HACKERS] ICU locales and text/char(n) SortSupport on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 11:05 PM, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> This is currently a v10 open item, but I think it doesn't qualify for that
> treatment.  It's merely an opportunity for optimization, albeit an
> attractively-simple one.

Fair enough.

This is clearly an omission that was made in 41839b7ab, the commit
that added/fixed Windows support for ICU. Hopefully the omission can
be corrected for v10. I see this as a surprising behavior for users,
since ICU locales on all other platforms *will* have much faster
sorting than libc locales (often more than 3x faster). This is mostly
because ICU brings back abbreviated keys. 3x - 5x faster is more of a
qualitative difference than a quantitative one, IMHO.

That having been said, I'm certainly not going to insist on a v10 fix
for this issue.

--
Peter Geoghegan