Re: [HACKERS] Proposal : For Auto-Prewarm.

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Proposal : For Auto-Prewarm.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 1:31 AM, Mithun Cy <mithun.cy@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> SEGFAULT was the coding mistake I have called the C-language function
> directly without initializing the functioncallinfo. Thanks for
> raising. Below patch fixes same.

It would be nice if this had an option to preload only internal B-tree
pages into shared_buffers. They're usually less than 1% of the total
pages in a B-Tree, and are by far the most frequently accessed. It's
reasonable to suppose that much of the random I/O incurred when
warming the cache occurs there. Now, prewarming those will incur
random I/O, often completely random I/O, but by and large it would be
a matter of swallowing that cost sooner, through using your tool,
rather than later, during the execution of queries.

--
Peter Geoghegan