Re: Optimizing nbtree ScalarArrayOp execution, allowing multi-column ordered scans, skip scan

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Optimizing nbtree ScalarArrayOp execution, allowing multi-column ordered scans, skip scan
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Apr 7, 2024 at 1:00 PM Alexander Lakhin <exclusion@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please look at an assertion failure (reproduced starting from 5bf748b86),
> triggered by the following query:
> CREATE TABLE t (a int, b int);
> CREATE INDEX t_idx ON t (a, b);
> INSERT INTO t (a, b) SELECT g, g FROM generate_series(0, 999) g;
> ANALYZE t;
> SELECT * FROM t WHERE a < ANY (ARRAY[1]) AND b < ANY (ARRAY[1]);
>
> TRAP: failed Assert("so->numArrayKeys"), File: "nbtutils.c", Line: 560, PID: 3251267

I immediately see what's up here. WIll fix this in the next short
while. There is no bug here in builds without assertions, but it's
probably best to keep the assertion, and to just make sure not to call
_bt_preprocess_array_keys_final() unless it has real work to do.

The assertion failure demonstrates that
_bt_preprocess_array_keys_final can currently be called when there can
be no real work for it to do. The problem is that we condition the
call to _bt_preprocess_array_keys_final() on whether or not we had to
do "real work" back when _bt_preprocess_array_keys() was called, at
the start of _bt_preprocess_keys(). That usually leaves us with
"so->numArrayKeys > 0", because the "real work" typically includes
equality type array keys. But not here -- here you have two SAOP
inequalities, which become simple scalar scan keys through early
array-specific preprocessing in _bt_preprocess_array_keys(). There are
no arrays left at this point, so "so->numArrayKeys == 0".

FWIW I missed this because the tests only cover cases with one SOAP
inequality, which will always return early from _bt_preprocess_keys
(by taking its generic single scan key fast path). Your test case has
2 scan keys, avoiding the fast path, allowing us to reach
_bt_preprocess_array_keys_final().

--
Peter Geoghegan