Re: POC, WIP: OR-clause support for indexes

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: POC, WIP: OR-clause support for indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Aug 20, 2023 at 3:11 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> Back in 2003, commit 9888192f removed (or at least simplified) what
> were then called "CNF/DNF CONVERSION ROUTINES". Prior to that point
> the optimizer README had something about leaving clause lists
> un-normalized leading to selectivity estimation problems. Bear in mind
> that this is a couple of years before ScalarArrayOpExpr was first
> invented. Apparently even back then "The OR-of-ANDs format is useful
> for indexscan implementation". It's possible that that old work will
> offer some hints on what to do now.

There was actually support for OR lists in index AMs prior to
ScalarArrayOpExpr. Even though ScalarArrayOpExpr don't really seem all
that related to bitmap scans these days (since at least nbtree knows
how to execute them "natively"), that wasn't always the case.
ScalarArrayOpExpr were invented the same year that bitmap index scans
were first added (2005), and seem more or less related to that work.
See commits bc843d39, 5b051852, 1e9a6ba5, and 290166f9 (all from
2005). Particularly the last one, which has a commit message that
heavily suggests that my interpretation is correct.

I think that we currently over-rely on BitmapOr for OR clauses. It's
useful that they're so general, of course, but ISTM that we shouldn't
even try to use a BitmapOr in simple cases. Things like the "WHERE
thousand = 42 AND (tenthous = 1 OR tenthous = 3 OR tenthous = 42)"
tenk1 query that you brought up probably shouldn't even have a
BitmapOr path (which I guess they don't with you patch). Note that I
recently discussed the same query at length with Tomas Vondra on the
ongoing thread for his index filter patch (you probably knew that
already).

--
Peter Geoghegan

Сообщение: Re: POC, WIP: OR-clause support for indexes
Сообщение: Re: POC, WIP: OR-clause support for indexes