Re: Overhauling "Routine Vacuuming" docs, particularly its handling of freezing

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Overhauling "Routine Vacuuming" docs, particularly its handling of freezing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, May 14, 2023 at 1:59 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> Have you read the documentation in question recently? The first two
> paragraphs, in particular:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/routine-vacuuming.html#VACUUM-FOR-WRAPAROUND
>
> As I keep pointing out, we literally introduce the whole topic of
> freezing/wraparound by telling users that VACUUM needs to avoid
> wraparound to stop your database from becoming corrupt. Which is when
> "the past becomes the future"

I went through the history of maintenance.sgml. "Routine Vacuuming"
dates back to 2001. Sure enough, our current "25.1.5. Preventing
Transaction ID Wraparound Failures" introductory paragraphs (the ones
that I find so misleading and alarmist) appear in the original
version, too. But in 2001, they weren't alarmist -- they were
proportionate to the risk that existed at the time. This becomes
totally clear once you see the original. In particular, once you see
the current introductory paragraphs next to another paragraph in the
original 2001 version:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=doc/src/sgml/maintenance.sgml;h=7629c5bd541e25b88241e030ca86a243e964e4b7;hb=c5b7f67fcc8c4a01c82660eb0996a3c697fac283#l245

The later paragraph follows up by saying: "In practice this [somewhat
regular vacuuming] isn't an onerous requirement, but since the
consequences of failing to meet it can be ___complete data loss___
(not just wasted disk space or slow performance), some special
provisions...". This means that my particular interpretation of the
25.1.5. introductory paragraphs are absolutely consistent with the
original intent from the time they were written. I'm now more
confident than ever that all of the stuff about "catastrophic data
loss" should have been removed in 2005 or 2006 at the latest. It
*almost* was removed around that time, but for whatever reason it
wasn't removed in full. And for whatever reason it didn't quite
register with anybody in a position to do much about it.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Сообщение: Re: Bump MIN_WINNT to 0x0600 (Vista) as minimal runtime in 16~
Сообщение: Re: Bump MIN_WINNT to 0x0600 (Vista) as minimal runtime in 16~