Re: [HACKERS] ICU integration

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: [HACKERS] ICU integration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Peter Eisentraut
> I think I have this sorted out.  What I don't understand, however, is
> why varstr_abbrev_convert() makes a point of looping until the result of
> strxfrm() fits into the output buffer (buf2), when we only need 8 bytes,
> and we throw away the rest later.  Wouldn't it work to just request 8 bytes?

Maybe. We do that because strxfrm() is not required by the standard to
produce well defined contents for the buffer when the return value
indicates that it didn't fit entirely. This is a standard idiom, I
think.

> If there is a problem with just requesting 8 bytes, then I'm wondering
> how this would affect the ICU code branch.

This must be fine with ICU's ucol_nextSortKeyPart(), because it is
designed for the express purpose of producing only a few bytes of the
final blob at a time.

--
Peter Geoghegan