Re: [HACKERS] strcmp() tie-breaker for identical ICU-collated strings

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: [HACKERS] strcmp() tie-breaker for identical ICU-collated strings
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 11:09 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Isn't that what strxfrm() is?
>
> Yeah, just with bugs.  If ICU has a non-buggy equivalent, then we can
> make this work.

I agree that it probably isn't worth using strxfrm() again, simply
because the glibc implementation is buggy, and glibc as a project is
not at all concerned about how badly that would affect PostgreSQL.

I would like to point out on this thread that the strcmp() tie-breaker
is also a big blocker to implementing normalized keys in B-Tree
indexes (at least, if you want to get them for collated text, which I
think you really need to make the implementation effort worth it).
This is something that is discussed in a section on the normalized
keys wiki page I created recently [1].

[1] https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Key_normalization#ICU.2C_text_equality_semantics.2C_and_hashing
--
Peter Geoghegan

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] New partitioning - some feedback
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] New partitioning - some feedback