Re: Massive parallel queue table causes index deterioration, butREINDEX fails with deadlocks.

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Massive parallel queue table causes index deterioration, butREINDEX fails with deadlocks.
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 1:06 PM Gunther <raj@gusw.net> wrote:
> I thought to keep my index tight, I would define it like this:
>
> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX Queue_idx_pending ON Queue(jobId) WHERE pending;
>
> so that only pending jobs are in that index.
>
> When a job is done, follow up work is often inserted into the Queue as pending, thus adding to that index.

How many distinct jobIds are there in play, roughly? Would you say
that there are many fewer distinct Jobs than distinct entries in the
index/table? Is the number of jobs fixed at a fairly low number, that
doesn't really grow as the workload needs to scale up?

--
Peter Geoghegan