Why is pgadmin so slow to display data on a Mac?

От Tim Uckun
Тема Why is pgadmin so slow to display data on a Mac?
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
PgAdmin extremely slow to display data on a Mac (I haven't tried it on other platforms). I have a Macbook Air 2GHz i7 with eight gigs of ram and of course the SSD drive and yet PgAdmin is painful to use.

I am almost certain this is due to some problem with rendering results and not fetching the results. The more fields in the result the worse the times get EVEN IF THERE ARE NO ROWS!.

For example if I do a Select * from table where 1=0 the query runs instantly but there is a noticable lag in showing the results. If I do a bunch of joins so that the number of fields grows it takes even longer to display zero rows.

Of course if I have rows the lag is even longer. If for whatever reason one of those rows has a text field with a large amount of data in it then you might as well go have lunch while it's displaying even one row.

Once again this has nothing to do with network lag or speed of queries. The queries run instantly and display instantly if I am using psql. PgAdmin chokes on them though.

Is there anything that can be done about this?