Re: newbie db design question

От Rino Mardo
Тема Re: newbie db design question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
thank you. i have received some tips on how to approach my problem. i will be trying them out.

On Sat, 11 Jun 2022, 5:51 pm Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at> wrote:
On 2022-06-11 09:43:46 +0100, Ray O'Donnell wrote:
> On 11 June 2022 08:05:41 Rino Mardo <rino19ny@gmail.com> wrote:
>     really noob question here. i have this experimental database design:
>
>     create table products (
>     product_id serial primary key,
>     description text,
>     supplier_id????) ;
>
>     create table supplier (
>     supplier_id serial primary key,
>     description text) ;
>

>     the products table should be linked to the supplier table via "supplier_id"
>     column. i can't find out what would be the data type of supplier_id in
>     table products to do that. i tried

[...]
>     how then to proceed?
>

> You need a foreign key.... add this to the first table:
>
> constraint <constraint name> foreign key (supplier_id) references supplier
> (supplier_id)

Or somewhat simpler:

    create table products (
        product_id serial primary key,
        description text,
        supplier_id integer references supplier
    );

(You need to create supplier before doing that, of course.)

        hp

PS: I noticed that "products" is plural and "supplier" is singular. It's
genereally helpful to choose one convention and stick to it.

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Story must make more sense than reality.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |       challenge!"