Re: Postgress is taking lot of CPU on our embedded hardware.

От Claudio Freire
Тема Re: Postgress is taking lot of CPU on our embedded hardware.
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> I don't think there's anything particular in postgres that would make it a
> poor choice on a small system, as far as CPU usage is concerned anyway. But
> inserting rows in a database is certainly slower than, say, writing them
> into a flat file.

How did you install postgres?
Did you build it?
Which configure flags did you use?
Exactly which m68k cpu is it? (it does matter)

For instance...

wiki: "However, a significant difference is that the 68060 FPU is not
pipelined and is therefore up to three times slower than the Pentium
in floating point applications"

This means, if you don't configure the build correctly, you will get
really sub-optimal code. Modern versions are optimized for modern
cpus.
Of utmost importance, I would imagine, is the binary format chosen for
pg data types (floating types especially, if you use them).