Re: Proposal - Support for National Characters functionality

От Claudio Freire
Тема Re: Proposal - Support for National Characters functionality
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 2:02 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:
>> - Support for NATIONAL_CHARACTER_SET GUC variable that will determine
>> the encoding that will be used in NCHAR/NVARCHAR columns.
>
> You said NCHAR's encoding is UTF-8. Why do you need the GUC if NCHAR's
> encoding is fixed to UTF-8?

Not only that, but I don't think it can be a GUC. Maybe a compile-time
switch, but if it were a GUC, how do you handle an existing database
in UTF-8 when the setting is switched to UTF-16? Re-encode everything?
Store the encoding along each value? It's a mess.

Either fix it at UTF-8, or make it a compile-time thing, I'd say.