Re: [HACKERS] reload-through-the-top-parent switch the partition table

От Rushabh Lathia
Тема Re: [HACKERS] reload-through-the-top-parent switch the partition table
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] reload-through-the-top-parent switch the partition table  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 11:47 PM, David G. Johnston
<david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I worry someone will think that pg_dump is now restoring stuff, but it
>> > isn't.
>>
>> Well, the point is that the commands it emits will cause the eventual
>> restore to go through the root.  Anyway, I think trying to avoid using
>> a verb altogether is going to result in a very stilted option name.
>>
>> I notice that the option list already includes some references to
>> "insert", so maybe "--insert-via-partition-root"?  Although you could
>> argue that that's confusing when we're using COPY.
>

> --use-partitioned-table [partition-name, ...]  # if names are omitted it
> defaults to all partitioned tables

I like this idea since it allows using this feature for selected
tables e.g. hash tables. Otherwise, users will be forced to use this
option even when there is only  a single hash partitioned table and
many other list/range partitioned tables.

+1.

What we are trying to do here is dump the data in a partitioned table
as if it's not partitioned. Combine that with --data-only dumps, and
one could use it to load partitioned data into unpartitioned or
differently partitioned table. So, how about naming the option as

--unpartition-partitioned-table [partitioned-table-name, ....] # if
names are omitted it defaults to all the partitioned tables.

--unpartition-partitioned-table is very confusing.

I liked the previous option which is --use-partitioned-table [partition-name, ...].
The Only problem with --use-partitioned-table is, a user needs to specify the
partition-name in the options list. Imagine if someone having 100's of
partitions then specifying those name is pg_dump option is a pain.

Rather than that:

--use-partitioned-table [partitioned_name, ...] # if
names are omitted it defaults to all the partitioned tables.

Here user need to specify the root relation name in the option - and any
partition table have that as a ROOT, will load the data through
top-parent-relation.

That really says what dump is really doing without focusing on how the
data will be used like restoring/inserting/copying etc.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat

--