Re: [HACKERS] Gather Merge

От Rushabh Lathia
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Gather Merge
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 4:47 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 3:59 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 2:32 AM, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh.lathia@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Please find attached latest patch.
>
> The latest patch still applies (with some fuzz), builds and the
> regression tests pass.
>
> I see that Robert made a number of changes and posted a v6 along with
> some numbers which he described as lacklustre, but then fixed a row
> estimate problem which was discouraging parallel joins (commit
> 0c2070ce).  Rushabh posted a v7 and test results which look good.

Are you suggesting that commit 0c2070ce has helped to improve
performance if so, I don't think that has been proved?  I guess the
numbers are different either due to different m/c or some other
settings like scale factor or work_mem.

I don't really think 0c2070ce is the exact reason. I run the tpch runs
with the same same setting as what Robert was running. I haven't
noticed any regression with the runs. For the last runs I also
uploaded the tpch run outputs for the individual queries for the
reference.

>  As
> far as I can see there are no outstanding issues or unhandled review
> feedback.  I've had a fresh read through of the latest version and
> have no further comments myself.
>
> I've set this to ready-for-committer now.  If I've misunderstood and
> there are still unresolved issues from that earlier email exchange or
> someone else wants to post a review or objection, then of course
> please feel free to set it back.
>
> BTW  There is no regression test supplied.  I see that commit 5262f7a4
> adding parallel index scans put simple explain output in
> "select_parallel" to demonstrate the new kind of plan being created;

It has added both explain statement test and a test to exercise
parallel index scan code.

Thanks for the reference. I added the similar tests for GM in the
uploaded latest patch.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.