Re: Fix pgstattuple/pgstatindex to use regclass-type as the argument

От Rushabh Lathia
Тема Re: Fix pgstattuple/pgstatindex to use regclass-type as the argument
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello Satoshi,

I assigned myself for the reviewer of this patch. Issue status is waiting on
author.

Now looking at the discussion under the thread it seems like we are waiting
for the suggestion for the new function name, right ?

I am wondering why actually we need new name ? Can't we just overload the
same function and provide two version of the functions ?

In the last thread Fujii just did the same for pg_relpages and it seems like an
good to go approach, isn't it ? Am I missing anything here ?

Regards,

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 12:28 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> AFAIK, a regclass type argument would accept an OID value,
>>> which means regclass type has upper-compatibility against
>>> oid type.
>>>
>>> So, even if the declaration is changed, compatibility could
>>> be kept actually. This test case (in sql/pgstattuple.sql)
>>> confirms that.

>>> select * from pgstatindex('myschema.test_pkey'::regclass::oid);
>>>  version | tree_level | index_size | root_block_no | internal_pages |
>>> leaf_pages | empty_pages | deleted_pages | avg_leaf_density |
>>> leaf_fragmentation
>>> ---------+------------+------------+---------------+----------------+------------+-------------+---------------+------------------+--------------------
>>>        2 |          0 |       8192 |             1 |              0 |
>>> 1 |           0 |             0 |             0.79 |        0
>>> (1 row)

>>> I'm still considering changing the function name as Tom pointed
>>> out. How about "pgstatbtindex"?
>>
>> Or just adding pgstatindex(regclass)?
>>
>>> In fact, pgstatindex does support only BTree index.
>>> So, "pgstatbtindex" seems to be more appropriate for this function.
>>
>> Can most ordinary users realize "bt" means "btree"?
>>
>>> We can keep having both (old) pgstatindex and (new) pgstatbtindex
>>> during next 2-3 major releases, and the old one will be deprecated
>>> after that.
>>
>> Since pg_relpages(oid) doesn't exist, pg_relpages() is in the same
>> situation as pgstatindex(), i.e., we cannot just replace pg_relpages(text)
>> with pg_relpages(regclass) for the backward-compatibility. How do you
>> think we should solve the pg_relpages() problem? Rename? Just
>> add pg_relpages(regclass)?
>
> Adding a function with a new name seems likely to be smoother, since
> that way you don't have to worry about problems with function calls
> being thought ambiguous.

Could you let me know the example that this problem happens?

For the test, I just implemented the regclass-version of pg_relpages()
(patch attached) and tested some cases. But I could not get that problem.

    SELECT pg_relpages('hoge');    -- OK
    SELECT pg_relpages(oid) FROM pg_class WHERE relname = 'hoge';    -- OK
    SELECT pg_relpages(relname) FROM pg_class WHERE relname = 'hoge';    -- OK

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao