Re: Misleading comment in prologue of ReorderBufferQueueMessage

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: Misleading comment in prologue of ReorderBufferQueueMessage
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 3:14 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 2:45 PM Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> The name of the function suggests that the given message will be queued in ReorderBuffer. The prologue of the function says so too
>  776 /*
>  777  * Queue message into a transaction so it can be processed upon commit.
>  778  */
> It led me to think that a non-transactional message is processed along with the surrounding transaction, esp. when it has an associated xid.
>
> But in reality, the function queues only a transactional message and decoders a non-transactional message immediately without waiting for a commit.
>
> We should modify the prologue to say
> "Queue a transactional message into a transaction so that it can be processed upon commit. A non-transactional message is processed immediately." and also change the name of the function to ReorderBufferProcessMessage(), but the later may break API compatibility.

+1 for the comment change but I am not sure if it is a good idea to
change the API name.

Can you please review wording? I will create a patch with updated wording.
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh