Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework

От Jelte Fennema-Nio
Тема Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 10 Jun 2024 at 22:47, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> As for what up and coming developers learn, they mostly don't learn C either, and that's far more critical to what we
do.

I think many up and coming devs have at least touched C somewhere
(e.g. in university). And because it's more critical to the project
and also to many other low level projects, they don't mind learning it
so much if they don't know it yet. But I, for example, try to write as
few Perl tests as possible, because getting good at Perl has pretty
much no use to me outside of writing tests for postgres.

(I do personally think that official Rust support in Postgres would
probably be a good thing, but that is a whole other discussion that
I'd like to save for some other day)

> But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Quite apart from anything else, a wholesale rework of the test
infrastructurewould make backpatching more painful.

Backporting test improvements to decrease backporting pain is
something we don't look badly upon afaict (Citus its test suite breaks
semi-regularly on minor PG version updates due to some slight output
changes introduced by e.g. an updated version of the isolationtester).

От: Jelte Fennema-Nio
Сообщение: Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Track the amount of time waiting due to cost_delay