Re: Support a wildcard in backtrace_functions

От Jelte Fennema-Nio
Тема Re: Support a wildcard in backtrace_functions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 at 01:19, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> Removing this GUC and making the backend react by default the same way
> as when this GUC was enabled sounds like a sensible route here.  This
> stuff is useful.

I definitely agree it's useful. But I feel like changing the default
of the GUC and removing the ability to disable it at the same time are
pretty radical changes that we should not be doing after a feature
freeze. I think we should at least have a way to turn this feature off
to be able to avoid log spam. Especially given the fact that
extensions use elog much more freely than core. Which afaict from
other threads[1] Tom also thinks we should normally be careful about.

Of the options to resolve the open item so far, I think there are only
three somewhat reasonable to do after the feature freeze:
1. Rename the GUC to something else (but keep behaviour the same)
2. Decide to keep the GUC as is
3. Revert a740b213d4

I hoped 1 was possible, but based on the discussion so far it doesn't
seem like we'll be able to get a quick agreement on a name. IMHO 2 is
just a version of 1, but with a GUC name that no-one thinks is a good
one. So I think we are left with option 3.

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/524751.1707240550%40sss.pgh.pa.us#59710fd4f3f186e642b8e6b886b2fdff