Re: UUID v7

От Jelte Fennema-Nio
Тема Re: UUID v7
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 at 21:47, Marcos Pegoraro <marcos@f10.com.br> wrote:

> I understand your point, but
> '2000-01-01' :: timestamp and '1900-01-01' :: timestamp are both valid timestamps.
>
> So looks strange if user can do
> select uuidv7(TIMESTAMP '2000-01-01')
> but cannot do
> select uuidv7(TIMESTAMP '1900-01-01')

I think that would be okay honestly. I don't think there's any
reasonable value for the uuid when a timestamp is given outside of the
date range that the uuid7 "algorithm" supports.

So +1 for erroring when you provide a timestamp outside of that range
(either too far in the past or too far in the future).