Re: ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size 1073741824

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size 1073741824
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 12:32 PM, Stefan Blanke <stefan.blanke@framestore.com> wrote:

> I'll bet you it's not that. It's quite unlikely that would fail with
> exactly 1GB request size. It seems much more like a buffer that we keep
> to be power of 2. The question is which one.

I had dismissed corruption before writing in. It's exactly 1GB every time this has happened - and we can dump the full dataset periodically without issue.

>> I have my money on a corrupted TOAST entry. Is this happening on
>> trustworthy hardware or beige box with no ECC or RAID?

It's good quality commercial hardware in our colo - no exactly sure what.

If it is a sporadic issue and you can dump the full dataset, then I just lost my money (Tomas, you coming to PGConf in Jersey City?).

But then, if this is a plain COPY to stdout ... I am wondering what could possibly be in that path that wants to allocate 1GB. Or is this not so plain but rather a COPY ... SELECT ...?

Regards, Jan

Thanks for taking the time to look at this!
Stefan

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 12:35 PM, Stefan Blanke
    We've tripped over an error when doing a "COPY.. TO STDOUT WITH
    BINARY" query.

    "ERROR:  invalid memory alloc request size 1073741824"
    (exactly 1GB)

I have my money on a corrupted TOAST entry. Is this happening on
trustworthy hardware or beige box with no ECC or RAID?

I'll bet you it's not that. It's quite unlikely that would fail with
exactly 1GB request size. It seems much more like a buffer that we keep
to be power of 2. The question is which one.

regards

--
Jan Wieck
Senior Postgres Architect