Re: Row Level Security − leakproof-ness and performance implications

От Joshua Brindle
Тема Re: Row Level Security − leakproof-ness and performance implications
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 9:12 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, Robert, it has been a while :)

> So... you're just going to replace ALL error messages of any kind with
> "ERROR: missing error text" when this option is enabled?  That sounds
> unusable.  I mean if I'm reading it right this would get not only
> messages from SQL-callable functions but also things like "deadlock
> detected" and "could not read block %u in file %s" and "database is
> not accepting commands to avoid wraparound data loss in database with
> OID %u".  You can't even shut it off conveniently, because the way

This makes complete sense to me. The client side of a client/server
protocol doesn't have any way to fix 'could not read block %u in file
%s', the client doesn't need that kind of detailed information about a
server, and in fact that information could be security sensitive.
Imagine connecting to a webserver with a web browser and getting a
similar message.

When something critical happens the servers logs can be viewed and the
error can be addressed there, on the server.