Re: BUG #15265: The program "initdb" is needed by pg_ctl but was notfound in the same directory as "pg_ctl".

От Mohammed Shahid Nawaz
Тема Re: BUG #15265: The program "initdb" is needed by pg_ctl but was notfound in the same directory as "pg_ctl".
Дата
Ответ на Re: BUG #15265: The program "initdb" is needed by pg_ctl but was notfound in the same directory as "pg_ctl".  ("Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@gentoo.org>)
Список pgsql-bugs
Hello Aaron,
Talking about the restrictions, I have given permissions to user Shahid, as equivalent to root by editing the sudoers file.

I did not face this issue in earlier versions and the same setup and command steps worked flawlessly.

I have even given su permission for user shahid to run su commands.

This was never the case with 9.6.3.

I have been running for past 1yr from root by using su / sudo commands to initdb and start the database.

Thanks
Shahid

On 2018-07-09 14:24, Mohammed Shahid Nawaz wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> Can anyone help me with this issue?  As this is being a road block for me,
> where I am able to run the commands in non-root login, but not from root
> with sudo or su command.
> Requesting help at the earliest.
> Thanks in Advance. I
>
> Shahid

It’s probably because /root has its access restricted to just the root
user, so the shahid user can’t get past that first part of the path.

Further, it’s atypical to allow users to do anything inside /root. You should
probably work under /usr/local or in /home/shahid/.