Re: Postgresql OOM

От Radu Radutiu
Тема Re: Postgresql OOM
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 7, 2024 at 7:59 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
Hi,

On 2024-06-06 15:25:25 +0300, Radu Radutiu wrote:
> I have a query that forces an out of memory error, where the OS will kill
> the postgresql process.

FWIW, it can be useful to configure the OS with strict memory overcommit. That
causes postgres to fail more gracefully, because the OOM killer won't be
invoked.

> The query plan (run immediately after a vacuum analyze) is at
> https://explain.depesz.com/s/ITQI#html .

Can you get EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, BUFFERS) to complete if you reduce the number of
workers? It'd be useful to get some of the information about the actual
numbers of tuples etc.

Hi,
I've tried first giving more memory to the OS and mounting a tmpfs in  pgsql_tmp. It didn't  work, I got
ERROR:  invalid DSA memory alloc request size 1140850688
CONTEXT:  parallel worker

I've seen around 2 million temporary files created before the crash.
With work_mem 100MB I was not able to get it to work with 2 parallel workers.
Next, I've increased work_mem to 200MB and now (with extra memory and tmpfs) it finished: https://explain.depesz.com/s/NnRC

Radu