Re: How to set up PostGIS to support ArcGIS, MapInfo and QGIS desktop users?

От Tony Shelver
Тема Re: How to set up PostGIS to support ArcGIS, MapInfo and QGIS desktop users?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
This is probably the wrong place to ask.  Have a look at the POSTGis support options  page.  Stack Exchange has a lot of info.
Also go to the particular products that you are interested in, they should have their requirements listed.

You will likely also want to set up the maps: the most commonly used dataset is derived from (or based on) openstreetmap.org.  You will soon be indicted to the joys of tools like osm2pgsql :)

However, you users should define the mapping data source and boundaries for you.
Make sure to get a really good user spec / system boundary.  Trying to download and set up a full world map dataset can take days or weeks depending on your hardware.

Take the recommended hardware requirement and system setup / tuning recommendations seriously.  I was bitten by this one in the past.

Also think about a bit of future proofing.  In the years I have been contributing to / sourcing from OSM, the amount of data has grown exponentially.