Re: Forks of pgadmin3?

От Tony Shelver
Тема Re: Forks of pgadmin3?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Or just persevere with pgadmin4 for a few months?   Pretty common for people to hate any major changes to a tool that they are very comfortable with.

This year I've invested the time to learn a few new toolsets (not on Postgresql necessarily) and found it to be well worth while.

At least pgAdmin4 is up to date with all the new features in 11.

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 at 14:04, Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com> wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2019, at 10:56 AM, Christian Henz <c.henz@software-vision.eu> wrote:
>
> I know I'm late to the party, but we're only now migrating from
> Postgres 9.x, realizing that pgadmin3 does not support Postgres 11.
>
> I have checked out pgadmin4, but I don't like it at all. My colleagues
> feel the same way, and some web searching suggests that we are not
> alone.
>
> So I wonder if there are any active forks of pgadmin3?

There's the BigSQL fork, which had at least some minimal support
for 10. I've no idea whether it's had / needs anything for 11.

> I found some on Github with some significant changes that I assume
> were done by people working for VK, the Russian social network. These
> appear to be personal hacks though (monosyllabic commit messages, build
> scripts added with hard coded local paths etc.).
>
> There are also the Debian packages that have patches adding Postgres
> 10 support among other things. Not sure if there would be interest
> there in continuing to support newer Postgres versions.
>
> Are there other, more organized efforts to continue pgadmin3?
>
> Are there technical reasons why such a continuation would not make
> sense?

It's significant work, and it'd be expended maintaining a fairly mediocre
GUI client.

You might see if you like OmniDB, or one of the other GUI clients, perhaps?

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Clients

Cheers,
  Steve