Re: Enumize logical replication message actions

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: Enumize logical replication message actions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 at 18:23, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 11:50 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:

> At Thu, 22 Oct 2020 22:31:41 -0300, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote in
> > On 2020-Oct-22, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:

> > > Enum is an integer, and we want to send byte. The function asserts that the
> > > enum fits a byte. If there's a way to declare byte long enums I would use
> > > that. But I didn't find a way to do that.
> >
> > I didn't look at the code, but maybe it's sufficient to add a
> > StaticAssert?
>
> That check needs to visit all symbols in a enum and confirm that each
> of them is in a certain range.

Can we define something like LOGICAL_REP_MSG_LAST (also add a comment
indicating this is a fake message and must be the last one) as the
last and just check that?

I don't think that's required once I applied suggestions from Kyotaro and Peter. Please check the latest patch.
Usually LAST is added to an enum when we need to cap the number of symbols or want to find the number of symbols. None of that is necessary here. Do you see any other use?

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh