Re: Asymmetry in opening and closing indices for partition routing

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: Asymmetry in opening and closing indices for partition routing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 at 23:22, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

I'm not sure that expecting the relcache entry's refcount drops to zero
at the right time is a good approach; that may cause leaks some other
place might have refcounts you're not expecting (say, an open cursor
that's not fully read).

My proposal was to maintain a refcount counting the number of times an index is opened in ResultRelInfo itself, not to rely on the relcache ref count. But I think that would be an overkill. Please read ahead

(I'm not terribly worried about refcount leakage as a theoretical
concern, since the ResourceOwner mechanism will warn us about that if it
happens.)

> 2. Throw an error in ExecOpenIndices if all the arrays are present. We will
> need to check leaf_part_rri->ri_IndexRelationDescs == NULL in
> ExecInitPartitionInfo().

This sounds like a job for an assert rather than an error.

I agree. Here's a patch to fix to add Assert'ion in ExecOpenIndices(). I ran make check with this patch and the assertion didn't trip. I think this will be a good step forward.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh