Re: Missing virtual provides on postgresql-9.4 deb

От James Laska
Тема Re: Missing virtual provides on postgresql-9.4 deb
Дата
Список pgsql-pkg-debian

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 5:02 AM, Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de> wrote:
I'm not saying we can't change this, though there's some reason behind
the way it currently is. Martin, do you remember if that "Provides:"
mismatch between server and client was intended, or did we just forget
that? Should we rather remove it from the client packages as well?

My familiarity with virtual provides is so that any packages with have a non-versioned dependency on postgres, will be satisfied by whatever version of postgres* installed.  It's commonly used when co-installing packages of the same name (different versions).  Dependencies that require a specific version should do so in their "Depends" statement.

This convention is already used in the postgresql-9.4 RPM packages, as seen below.

# rpm -q --provides postgresql94-server
config(postgresql94-server) = 9.4.4-1PGDG.rhel7
postgresql-server
postgresql94-server = 9.4.4-1PGDG.rhel7
postgresql94-server(x86-64) = 9.4.4-1PGDG.rhel7

On RPM based systems, this allows one to install postgresql94-server, and later remove postgresql-server.  The virtual provides ensure any packages with a postgresql-server requirement remain on the system, after `postgresql-server` has been removed (since the dependency is met by postgresql94-server).

Thanks,
James

Сообщение: Re: Missing virtual provides on postgresql-9.4 deb
Сообщение: Re: Missing virtual provides on postgresql-9.4 deb