Re: Trouble Upgrading Postgres

От Charles Martin
Тема Re: Trouble Upgrading Postgres
Дата
Re: Trouble Upgrading Postgres  (Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at>)
Re: Trouble Upgrading Postgres  (Andreas Kretschmer <andreas@a-kretschmer.de>)
Список pgsql-general
When I do a pg_dump using PG 9.6, I got this:

pg_dump: Dumping the contents of table "docfile" failed: PQgetCopyData() failed.

pg_dump: Error message from server: server closed the connection unexpectedly

before or while processing the request.

pg_dump: The command was: COPY public.docfile (docfile_pkey, docfileoriginalname, ordernumber, versionnum, docfilecontents, docfilepath, docfileextension, enddatetime, endby, editnum, insby, insdatetime, modby, moddatetime, active, doc_fkey) TO stdout;

I've looked and been unable to find where Centos 7, or Postgres 9.6, stores the path to the config/data directory outside the data/postgresql.conf file. But I agree there must be something somewhere.

Chuck

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 6:06 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 11/3/18 2:56 PM, Charles Martin wrote:

Please reply to list also.
Ccing list.

> Yes, if I could get pg_dump to work, I think I'd be fine. Maybe. But it
> doesn't.

Post the error you got to the list and we maybe able to help.
Also which version of Postgres where you using to take the dump?

> I agree that I've confused Postgres, but I don't know how to resolve the
> confusion. It is complicated by the fact that my original Centos 7
> install included Postgres 9.2, so those files are hanging around, along
> with 9.6 and 11.
>
> I posted the error messages I got when postgresql.conf had the data
> directory set to my basebackup data:
>
> *postgresql-9.6.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE*
>
> *
> *
>
> Not very helpful.
>

> systemctl status postgresql-9.6 provided a bit more info:
>
> *●*postgresql-9.6.service - PostgreSQL 9.6 database server
>
>     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/postgresql-9.6.service;
> disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
>
>     Active: *failed*(Result: exit-code) since Sat 2018-11-03 15:05:30
> EDT; 15s ago
>
>       Docs: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/
>
>    Process: 32570 ExecStart=/usr/pgsql-9.6/bin/postmaster -D ${PGDATA}
> *(code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)*
>
>    Process: 32563
> ExecStartPre=/usr/pgsql-9.6/bin/postgresql96-check-db-dir ${PGDATA}
> (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
>
>   Main PID: 32570 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
>

> Yet this went away, and PG 9.6 started, when I changed postgresql.conf
> to point to the new (empty) data directory, which is confusing.

No not confusing. Not that familiar  with RPM packaging as I am with the
Debian/Ubunto packaging. Still if I remember correctly it also allows
multiple instances of Postgres to run. To do that it has its own system
of tracking the data directories. Where you created the new data
directory is obviously where the package scripts expect to find it.  The
pg_basebackup directory is not.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: Trouble Upgrading Postgres
Сообщение: Re: Trouble Upgrading Postgres