Re: break table into portions for writing to separate files

От Szymon Guz
Тема Re: break table into portions for writing to separate files
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On 1 May 2014 21:01, Seb <spluque@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, 1 May 2014 20:22:26 +0200,
Szymon Guz <mabewlun@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, several Gb is about 1GB, that's not too much. In case you meant
> 'several GB', that shouldn't be a problem as well.

Sorry, I meant several GB.  Although that may not be a problem for
PostgreSQL, it is for post-processing the output file with other tools.

> The first thing I'd do would be creating an index on the column used
> for dividing the data. Then I'd just use the command COPY with a
> proper select to save the data to a file.

I should have mentioned that this is quite a complex view (not a table),
which joins several other views of similar complexity.  I'm not sure
whether indexes are useful/feasible in this case.  I'll investigate.

Yes, indexes can be used to speed up the view as well. Such a view is nothing more than just a query.

regards,
Szymon